The US army has suffered the primary crash in its massively costly F-35 fighter jet programme.
A F-35B jet got here down in South Carolina, the Marine Corps stated. The pilot managed to securely eject and there have been no accidents.
The Marines stated in an announcement that an investigation into the reason for the crash is underway.
The F-35 is the most important and most costly weapons programme of its kind on the planet.
World gross sales are projected at extra that three,000 plane, and the programme is more likely to final for some 30 to 40 years.
However the programme has been criticised each for price and fight effectiveness.
The jet concerned within the incident is believed to have price round $100m (£77m), though a brand new Pentagon contract introduced on Friday for a file 141 F-35 jets has introduced the fee right down to round $89.2m per plane, in accordance with Reuters.
The mannequin is considered one of three forms of the F-35 sequence in operation.
On Thursday, the US carried out its first operation utilizing the F-35B in opposition to Taliban targets in Afghanistan, 4 months after the Israeli army introduced it had used the F-35A to hold out two separate strikes.
US President Trump has repeatedly praised the F-35, saying that the enemy “can not see” it. Whereas the jet is just not invisible, its major contractor Lockheed Martin has stated its “superior stealth” permits it to keep away from radar.
F-35: Why its maker says it is so superior
- Developed by Lockheed Martin and first flown in 2006, the principle purpose for the fighter is its versatility, projected to serve the US Air Power, Marine Corps and Navy in a single design
- Three variants: standard takeoff (A); brief takeoff and vertical touchdown (B) and carrier-based catapult (C)
- Stealth is clearly a key issue, its airframe and design supplies permit pilots to penetrate areas with out being detected by radar
- This provides it a small radar cross-section, which is alleged to permit it to interact enemy plane earlier than they see it. A helmet-mounted show system means the jet doesn’t should be pointing at its goal to fireplace weapons
- But it surely’s the sensors, communications and avionics that it trumpets probably the most – knowledge is shared instantly with operational commanders, and pilots can monitor the enemy, jam radars and thwart assaults